I suggest you ...

Have a Mailing List...

...to expand the volunteer base to a wider audience, attract more postings, and encourage more active participation.

I came to the site as a potential volunteer looking to sign-up for a mailing list. I want to volunteer, but maybe not right now. It would be fantastic to get a monthly email digest of opportunities based on my location and possibly interests too. Think LivingSocial emails, though it doesn't need to be nearly as complex.

As it stands, most people must first be inspired to visit the site AND find a volunteer opportunity of interest that is relatively soon so they can commit. I value volunteering, but it just does not cross my mind very often. I think a mailing list will be able to reach many more willing (and needed) volunteers that will not proactively search for opportunities otherwise. Of course, being able to reach more volunteers means that more organizations will want to post to All for Good. Active AFG users would be encouraged to volunteer more frequently as well.

In short, an impressive ROI.

*A note on calendars*
I saw another idea posted about having location-specific calendars; this is also a good idea and perhaps overlaps with the mailing list somewhat in terms of the coding, etc. (not my area of expertise). It might be good to pilot this in a major city with high activity.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Christine M shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christine M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One last thing, I promise. I saw your comment on another post that asked if you had a mailing list. Perhaps they were looking for the same thing. If you have something like the mailing list I described already, that is great! Just be sure to display it prominently on the front page. There seems to be plenty of room under tools. A little redundancy with the sign-up on other pages could be beneficial too. I'm sure you have mailing lists for your partners, etc., but I think this kind of broad, public list would open many new doors.

Thanks Again

• Christine M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A couple more notes:

(1) The body of the digest emails could be modeled after the 'opportunities near you' section that is currently on the home page, including the link to view more opportunities. I would just add dates if possible.

(2) Have the option for people to select the frequency of emails preferred. Monthly was just my own preference for a "Do Good Digest" (catchy branding?).

Thank you for hearing me out and all your work to continually enhance the site! I'm new here, and I think I'll be coming back more (especially if I get an email on the regular).

Feedback and Knowledge Base