I suggest you ...

Include a Pro Bono Section

It would be great to see pro bono listed as one of the categories you could search under. Just as the categories give options for those specifically looking to tutor or work in technology, including pro bono as a section would help separate out opportunities for those hoping to use their professional skills for service versus those doing non-skills-based volunteering.

85 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    KateKate shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lorraine SchaefferLorraine Schaeffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I saw Oprah's show yesterday featuring veterans, yourself and Oprah and tears rolled down my face. I felt the words you and Oprah used were words that have come out of my mouth, time and time again. i have been serving our troops in the war zone since March, 2003 with more than 8,000 letters and thousands of morale packages. I have spoken to groups and students and liek yourself, have told them I do what I do because of the way our soldiers were treated when they came home after the Viet Nam War. I wanted to be sure it didn't happen again. I am known in my workplace, community and veterans organizations for some of my ideas that after 8 years I have come up with that have been working and have been a bright spot to a soldier serving away from home. I have boxes with flyers in workplaces, churches, community retail shops, etc. collecting things like old or broken cell phones, blackberries, pagers, ink jet cartridges, etc. etc. that I collect and send of to a project who trades them in for phone cards for our soldiers. I could put a piece of gold in a box but they would thank me for the phone card(s) to be able to talk to their family and friends. I've collect new and used sunglasses needed in the winter for the glare of the sun off the snow and in the spring for the sun and protection from sandstorms, summer and fall protection from the sun. They are easily lost or broken and may have to wait for a family to repurchase a new pair that they cannot afford. Early on I collected clothing to send to Kuwait's clothes closet as a soldier going on emergency leave cannot leave Kuwait in uniform. I checked out all the clothing myself to make sure it wasn't dirty or torn and of course, all sizes are needed. I could go on and on and would somehow like to contribute some of my 8 years of learning what I can and cannot do to pass it on to whomever is willing to help. I know I have helped aid our soldiers for the past 8 years from American soil and I am always looking for others to say "How can I help?" We have one big major problem that needs to be deal with and I know that if something/someone can help give us a hand, it would have to start with you. I've written my letters and asked government officials but it seems to be out of their hands. I know you can help. There is so much information I can share that I know together we can change some of the road blocks that are out there and should not be when it comes to our brave veterans who put themselves on the line daily while we go about our everyday schedules. My sister is one of your volunteers and comes into the White House each week. She can affirm what I have done and am still doing since March, 2003 and Oprah's Show yesterday I hope it will find others who are willing to help. I have so many times wanted to write her and ask her to do a show just as that and to tell her of my concern of the mailing process. We can, we should, be doing better for our veterans! I would love to e-mail you a few articles that were written about me so you can better get a feel of who I am and what I've been doing. If you thinbk I can offer something positive, please contact me at Lorraine Schaeffer, 8 Mondale Circle, Hummelstown, PA 17036. God Bless all of our brave men and women who have watched our borders and protected each and every one of us. We must no tever forget them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base