I suggest you ...

Local Events/Opportunties Calendar

I think All for Good should develop a visually easy-to-use and smooth-scrolling (like seadragon-smooth) calendar.

Imagine if every city had ONE place where they could find information about everything non-profit coming up. Something you could sort by date, location, topic, event type, organisation etc.

What I meant by seadragon-smooth is that you should be able to zoom right out (so you can see 6 months at once... and then right back in (so you can only see one day) but totally smoothly. Obviously for some cities you could have hundreds of "for good" events on one day, which is why you'd need really good filters based on how organisations tagged their own uploads.

It would help not only make volunteering more accessible to people who want to get involved, it would also help the non-profits no end, because they could ensure they don't overlap with each other and could plan collaboration better. For instance, on a uni campus in Perth, 2 different organisations organised MASSIVE fundraising parties for AIDS orphans in Kwa-Zulu Natal and didn't hear about each other until about a week before, when it was too late to collaborate! They could have had one even larger event and not reinvented the wheel.

I know All for Good has dates, locations and most of the other information required to make this, but the actual calendar interface would mean all this valuable information is being used to its full potential!

A map-based interface could work too, with events that are coming up in a few days, appearing as larger "balloons" on the map than those that are coming up in a month. Or make it so users can define what the largeness means. It could be that people want to see visually how many people are attending which events.

Imagine if events got larger as more people RSVPed and more saturated with colour (starting from white) as the event date got nearer. It would be like a fruit tree where you instantly know which fruit is ripe.

Haha... what a rant.

Thanks

Tim

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tim Kenworthy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Adminty (Admin, All For Good) responded  · 

Tim,

Thank you for such a thoughtful suggestion. We are using these forums to crowdsource the best ideas, and this is certainly something that we will consider.

Thanks again, Ty

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)